People who enjoy running may overlook foot pain, which in turn can develop into serious foot conditions. Research has indicated it is beneficial to practice proper warm-up and cool down routines, as this may be helpful in preventing running injuries. Patients who are new to the sport of running are advised to start slowly, and gradually increase their speed and mileage. Additionally, it is beneficial to alternate running shoes, which may be helpful in prolonging shock absorption. If you would like more information about how running injuries can affect the feet and how to prevent them, please consult with a podiatrist.
All runners should take extra precaution when trying to avoid injury. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact one of our podiatrists of Toe-tal Family Footcare Associates. Our doctors will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
There are a lot of mistakes a runner can make prior to a workout that can induce injury. A lot of athletes tend to overstretch before running, instead of saving those workouts for a post-run routine. Deep lunges and hand-to-toe hamstring pulls should be performed after a workout instead of during a warmup. Another common mistake is jumping into an intense routine before your body is physically prepared for it. You should try to ease your way into long-distance running instead of forcing yourself to rush into it.
More Tips for Preventing Injury
- Incorporate Strength Training into Workouts - This will help improve the body’s overall athleticism
- Improve and Maintain Your Flexibility – Stretching everyday will help improve overall performance
- “Warm Up” Before Running and “Cool Down” Afterward – A warm up of 5-10 minutes helps get rid of lactic acid in the muscles and prevents delayed muscle soreness
- Cross-Training is Crucial
- Wear Proper Running Shoes
- Have a Formal Gait Analysis – Poor biomechanics can easily cause injury
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in Vista, CA . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.Read more about Preventing Running Injuries